Customer notice: You are running a browser which is not fully supported on this site. We cannot gurantee correct functioning of this site unless you are using a browser which is fully supported. Examples of browsers which are fully supported are Internet Explorer 9 (or higher), Chrome version 47 (or higher), Firefox version 40 (or higher) and Safari version 9 (or higher).

Vote for your charity in KCOM's Community grants scheme

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Vote for your charity in KCOM's Community grants scheme

Will you vote for one of these six deserving charities to receive £500? Today KCOM has announced the six finalists in its first Community Grant awards to be voted for by the public.

Today KCOM has announced the six finalists in its first Community Grant awards to be voted for by the public.

The finalists picked from many worthy entries are Hull Raspberry Jam, the Sailors’ Children’s Society, Breathe for Cameron, Motorvation Hull & East Riding, Newland Avenue Allotments Association and Hull Women’s Aid.

Brendon Smurthwaite, KCOM’s community coordinator, said: “We’ve had some brilliant entries from many deserving causes and it was a hard task whittling the list down to a final six.

“KCOM has supported local groups and charities that do so much essential work out in the communities of Hull and East Yorkshire for many years – but now these groups need your help too.

“For our latest round of Community Grant Awards we have opened the voting process out to everyone so they can choose the group they believe really deserves that extra helping hand.

“So if you would like to see one of the finalists receive one of our £500 awards you can now vote for them here.”

For more details about applying for a KCOM Community Grant visit www.kcomhome.com/community/kcom-community-grants

Voting has now closed, the winners will be announced shortly.

Here, in their own words, the six finalists explains how they would put the money to good use.

Raspberry Jam

Jon Witt, organiser of the Hull Raspberry Jam events, said: “Hull Raspberry Jam is a community event which aims to bring together people of all ages, IT professionals and educators from Hull and the surrounding area who are interested in computer coding, digital making and electronics.

“We run the events at Hull Central Library roughly every other month; it is a free event that is run entirely by volunteers.

“Winning the KCOM Community grant would allow the Jam to purchase its own Raspberry Pi computers and electronic components, allowing even more people to gain access to the event and learn just what they can make with this powerful little computer system.”

Sailors’ Children Society

Wendy Fish, funding co-ordinator, said: “Sailors’ Children’s Society, formerly Newland Homes, still helps over 440 disadvantaged children of seafarers in their homes throughout the United Kingdom.

“Locally we help families based around Hull and the Humber following a traumatic event such as bereavement, loss or diagnosis of the life changing illness.

“Our support includes the offer of a respite break at the Society caravan at Primrose Valley in Filey which gives the children the chance to switch off from the difficult circumstances and just be children again – laughing, smiling and making new friends.

“If we were successful, the KCOM Community Grant would be used to help provide the cleaning and bedding for each new family during the coming months.”

Hull Women’s Aid

Lauren Coupland-Oxley, finance officer Hull Women’s Aid, said: “For many, who have not lived with or experienced domestic abuse, Christmas is often regarded as a time for family and happiness; for those who have experienced or witnessed domestic abuse their Christmases have often been consumed by unpredictability and violence.

“As a service we like to ensure that we provide new and happy experiences with the help of our funders by providing activities, day trips and gifts in the hope of providing them with a safe and magical Christmas.

“If awarded a grant by KCOM the funds would be used to contribute towards our exciting and family oriented trips and activities we have planned for Christmas 2017.”

Motorvation Hull & East Riding

Helen Russell, Motorvation fundraising officer, said the community transport organisation would use the money to help renew one of its vehicles, providing independence and a vital lifeline for people with learning difficulties and elderly people who find themselves isolated.

One of Motorvation’s regular users said the charity provided an invaluable service and the money would help improve the lives of many people like here in Hull and East Yorkshire.

She said: “I'm a disabled wheelchair user and love to go on outings. I like to be independent in my wheelchair and thanks to Motorvation I can be. I just book, drive up the ramp into the van and the kind volunteer driver straps me in and takes me wherever I want. What a service! The money will be used to purchase a new van and enable this fantastic service to continue.”

Breathe for Cameron

Craig Salter, of the Breathe for Cameron charity, said: “The money donated to Breathe for Cameron will be put towards the money needed to buy Hull Royal Infirmary a state of the art piece of diagnostic equipment that will benefit so many people who suffer with lung diseases such as asthma and cystic fibrosis.

“The money donated by KCOM will certainly make a difference to the people of Hull and help us create a lasting legacy for Cameron. The Resmon Pro equipment will change people lives. Let’s change the face of asthma one breath at a time.”

Newland Avenue Allotments Association

'Cass' (Norma Carson) of the Newland Avenue Allotments Association, said the money would go toward supporting the 250 allotment site which is used by a huge range of local people.

The money would pay for tables, chairs, gas bottles and stoves to be used at forthcoming community events including the association’s first ever chilli show and festival.

Norma said: “We will use the money to provide the backbone of the show – the plastic folding tables benefit everyone including the elderly and disabled. The gas bottles will help provide warm food, promote healthy eating and the event will help draw the community together.”